January is all about self-improvement, and after making it all the way through 2020, self-care is key. After many years of prohibition, the marijuana plant is finally gaining recognition for how effective it can be for overall wellness and self-care routines. Start off 2021 on a new leaf with these cannabis self-care tips.
Your Guide to Cannabis Self-Care
There are so many ways of approaching cannabis self-care, but don’t worry—we’ve got some ideas to start with. Improve your flexibility, practice mindfulness, or give yourself a full-on facial.
High-Octane Workouts: How Marijuana Can Help Your Fitness
It’s no secret that regular exercise is key for longevity. Keeping your fitness levels high benefits both the mind and the body. When you’re outside, there are plenty of options.
Stuck at home? You can still get your virtual workout in from local OC studios. Here are some of our favorite quarantine workouts:
- If you’re new to this, there are plenty of online resources that can help you get your bearings, from YouTube to fitness apps to local studio online classes. Outdoor yoga is a big thing around Orange County, so don’t be shy! Bring your mat, head to the park, and enjoy some stretches with 6 feet of space all around you. Try the group classes at Lantern Bay Park, TeWinkle Park, or Irvine Great Park’s Farmers Market Yoga.
- Taking care of your heart is important, both physically and emotionally. To keep your heart happy, cardio exercises like biking or running are a great way to start a day and get some “me” Ever heard of “Runner’s High”? Running can release a cannabinoid within our body called anandamide, which behaves similarly to THC in your brain. It binds to the CB1 receptor, inducing those feelings of euphoria that make tough cardio worth the effort. Make sure to take care of your body by stretching and including a body-soothing reward to enjoy after your hard work. Adding CBD to your post-cardio recovery routine can help calm and relax you.
- Maybe you’re just not the running type. That’s okay! Low-impact cardio is still a good way to get exercise, and going for a pleasant stroll with a pre-roll in your hand always makes for a good time. See the sights around you, and take your puppy if you’d like—we do call fun-sized pre-rolls “dogwalkers” for a reason.
Marijuana Mindfulness Inspired by Thich Nhat Hanh
Meditation can help with stress management and general mental health—something we could probably all use a little more of in a post-2020 world. If you’ve tried it before and can’t seem to stay awake to experience the benefits of a meditation practice, take a different tactic. Active meditation has a rich history across cultures. Note these examples of pan-cultural meditation practices you can try at home:
- Walking meditation. This was popular in Catholicism at one time, and stone labyrinths meant for thoughtful walking meditation are still easy to find at cathedrals and churches.
- Whirling or turning. A physical meditation still practiced by some sects of Sufi Islam, participants aim to experience ego death by focusing their hearts and minds on God and spinning in circles as fast as they can.
- Mindful activities. This form of meditation has a rich history across many cultures and religious sects. Try it yourself with this exercise from the Buddhist master and acclaimed writer Thich Nhat Hanh.
Hanh has some advice for those of us struggling to live in the moment: Do one thing and focus on it intensely.
What’s the benefit? According to Thich Nhat Hanh, “as you become fully aware of [what you’re doing], you also become fully aware of the present moment. You become fully engaged in the here and now. Living in the moment, you can really experience what [the activity] offers you, and you become more alive.”
To add cannabis to this Thich Nhat Hanh experience, first carefully prepare your bowl of cannabis flower or mindfully select a pre-roll. Let your worries and fears leave your mind, and focus solely on the effects of the marijuana you’re enjoying. Notice all of its flavors, the aromas of its terpenes, and the heat of the smoke in your lungs. Applying mindfulness techniques to your everyday activities can be a beautiful way to detach and truly recharge.
Sleep Tips: How Cannabis Can Help
Good sleep hygiene is a crucial part of your personal wellness, and marijuana products can help you get a full night’s rest. If warm milk isn’t cutting it, we’ve got some sleep tips for you. Cutting down on caffeine, doomscrolling, and giving meditation a shot can certainly help—but if you’re really struggling, it’s time to pull out the big guns. Our night-time weed gummies are specially formulated for the most dreamtime-challenged among us, with a soothing mixture of CBN, THC, and melatonin. Sleep gummies from Plus will have you counting sheep in no time, and with delicious flavors like cloudberry and lychee, these weed gummies are the midnight snack you’ve always dreamed of.
The Marijuana Spa Day
There’s nothing better than pampering yourself, and having a cannabis spa day at home is the perfect way to do it. Slather on a facemask, then enjoy a bowl of your favorite weed strain or a pack of colorful marijuana pre-rolls while you self-massage with some cannabis lotion from Papa & Barkley.
For your at-home spa day, why not try something new? With our five-effect flight pack of Canndescent pre-rolls, you can choose from a variety of sensations and moods (Calm, Cruise, Create, Connect, and Charge) to curate your self-care environment. It’s the perfect way to get your headspace exactly where you want it.
If pre-rolls aren’t your thing, pick up some CBD gummies in flavors like yuzu lemon, peach, and mango, or grab a tincture from Care by Design to add to your favorite food or drinks. No need to take off your fluffy robe and put on real clothes—just order your favorite CBD marijuana products straight to your house from the People’s California website.
The Best Local Marijuana Store for Self-Care Essentials
For the week of January 18 – January 24, 2021, People’s is hosting a wellness week with select products at 25% off! Visit our online marijuana store to start your self-care journey today. With our wide selection of everything from soothing marijuana tinctures to CBD weed gummies, we’ve got Orange County’s best self-care supplies. Pick up your favorites online to enjoy savings on premium products, or visit our Santa Ana dispensary in person. We look forward to your visit!